Jacoby Insurance Group

931 N. Last Chance Gulch   •   Helena, MT 59601   •   P: (406) 457-1243
Q: “How much do your services cost?”
  • A: Free! We do not charge any fees for meeting with clients or our Medicare 101 seminars

Q: “How do I get Medicare Parts A & B?”
  • A: People already receiving Social Security automatically get enrolled into Medicare three (3) months before they turn sixty-five (65) and should receive their Medicare card within that time frame. People who are not receiving Social Security need to apply for Part B, however, they will automatically get Part A. If you are still working past your sixty-fifth (65th) birthday, you will automatically get Part A but will have to apply for Part B with Social Security and your Employer.

    • We recommend you sign up before you turn sixty-five (65) so that your coverage begins the first day of your birth month. The following graph shows the seven (7) month sign up period:

Q: “I’m newly eligible to Medicare because I turned 65, but I don’t have my Medicare card yet. What can I do?”
  • A: Without your Medicare card, there is nothing our agency can do for you. Insurance carriers need your Medicare card information (ID number, and Part A and B effective dates). See the answers in the “How do I get Parts A & B Medicare” question for more details.

Q: “I’m newly eligible for Medicare because I have a disability (under 65). What can I do?”
  • A: You can come see us for supplemental insurance once you get your Medicare card that shows both Part A and B effective dates!

    • You can sign-up during the seventh (7th) month period that starts three (3) months before your twenty-fifth (25th) month of getting Social Security or RRB disability benefits. We recommend signing up for a supplemental plan before your twenty-fifth (25th) month of getting disability so that your coverage begins the first day of your twenty-fifth (25th) month of receiving disability benefits.

Q: “When can I make changes to my Medicare Advantage Plan or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan?”
  • A: You can ONLY make these changes during the Annual Open Enrollment Period. However, if you are (1) change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to original Medicare, (2) switching from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan, (3) switching from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage, or (4) joining a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.

Q: “Do you offer your client services to other cities in Montana?”
  • A: Yes, we do offer our services statewide. However, are not legally able to sell a Montana policy in a different state.

Q: “When can I schedule an appointment to meet with an agent since I will be going onto Medicare soon?”
  • A: You can schedule an appointment with our Agency once you have your Medicare card with Part A and B effective dates.

Q: “I’m under 65 and just lost my Health Insurance Coverage. Do I qualify for an SEP (Special Enrollment Period)?”
  • A: Yes! Here are some other qualifying events:

    • Losing job base coverage for any reason, including resigning, and being laid off or fired.
    • Losing coverage due to divorce or family changes.
    • Policy/Plan year ending (for a plan or policy you bought yourself)
    • COBRA coverage running out (or your former employer stops contributing to your COBRA coverage, requiring you to pay full cost)
    • Aging off a parent’s plan by turning twenty-six (26)
    • Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
    • You can view entire list by visiting https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/
Q: “What happens when someone is under 65 and already registered for Social Security? Do they automatically get signed up for Medicare and receive a Medicare card in the mail?”
  • A: Yes, you will be automatically enrolled in both Part A and Part B. This is true whether you are automatically enrolled in Medicare or you have enrolled yourself.

Q: “Do you have to sign up for Medicare at 65 if you are still working?”
  • A: No. If you’re still working at sixty-five (65), and you have coverage under a group health plan through an employer with twenty (20) employees or more, then you don’t have to enroll in Medicare right now. We recommend you apply for Part B three months before the first of the month following your retirement date.

Q: “Does Medicare come out of your Social Security?”
  • A: It can! If you are signed up for both Social Security and Medicare Part B, the Social Security Administration will automatically deduct the premium from your benefit. You can sign up to have this taken out monthly or quarterly. Some Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan insurances also allow their monthly premiums to be deducted from your Social Security account.